Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of social networking site Facebook has become the world’s eighth richest person, according to a new list.
Zuckerberg, who started shaping Facebook as a student is now worth $42.8 billion, according to Wealth-X, a wealth tracking website.
Top of the list is Microsoft founder Bill Gates at $87.4 billion. At number two is Spanish clothing retailer Inditex founding chairman Amancio Ortega with a net worth of $66.8 billion.
Potential US presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg ranks as the ninth wealthiest person on earth with $42 billion, although fellow political billionaire Donald Trump does not make the top ten.
Alice Walton, the Walmart heiress is the wealthiest woman in the world at number 15, with a net worth of $33.2 billion.
L’Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt is the next woman on the list, positioned just below Walton at number 17 with a net worth of $29 billion. The only other woman in the top 50 is Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, tied at 47th with $14.4 billion.
The 10 richest people in the world:
- Bill Gates – $87.4 billion
- Amancio Ortega – $66.8 billion
- Warren Buffett – $60.7 billion
- Jeff Bezos – $56.6 billion
- David Koch – $47.4 billion
- Charles Koch – $46.8 billion
- Larry Ellison – $45.3 billion
- Mark Zuckerberg – $42.8 billion
- Michael Bloomberg – $42.1 billion
- Ingvar Kamprad – $39.3 billion.
(With acknowledgements to MONEY magazine)
© Now Media 2016. All Rights Reserved.