By Amelia Johnson|
A military cabal now in control in Zimbabwe has ordered ailing president Robert Mugabe to drop plans to sack defence minister Sydney Sekeramayi, Now Daily has learn’t.
Sekeramayi was on an original list compiled by Mugabe’s wife Grace naming alleged conspirators who were accused of plotting to assassinate Mugabe and take over the government. Grace Mugabe is angling to succeed her senile husband who, some say, is suffering from dementia.
Mysteriously, Sekeramayi, the long-serving defence chief touted as a potential successor to the nearly 91 year-old Mugabe survived Tuesday’s mass sacking of the alleged conspirators led by vice president Joice Mujuru.
“A group of army officers has taken charge and Mugabe is now their puppet. They told the president that he would be toppled if he removed Sekeramayi,” said a source. “The disgruntled military officers met Mugabe on Sunday, November 30 and told him that they were going to be calling the shots from the background while he played along in public. The military generals made the move after realising that Joice Mujuru was going to be removed and they would naturally be next in the firing line designed by the witch-hunting Grace Mugabe. Remember, Mugabe has not renewed contracts for all the top dogs, which expire in January 2015.”
Mugabe was expected to name a new cabinet Wednesday but it was not clear if Sekeramayi would retain the defence portfolio. Last week, apparently emboldened by the background moves of his army colleagues, Sekeramayi boldly went to the Zanu PF congress where he was humiliated by party youths who slapped and shoved his wife Tsitsi.
Other fired ministers include de facto state security minister Didymus Mutasa, reported by state media to have fled to India, Nicholas Goche (labour), Dzikamai Mavhaire (energy), Francis Nhema (youth and empowerment), Webster Shamu (ICT), Olivia Muchena (higher education), Simbaneuta Mudarikwa (provincial affairs, Mash. East) and Munacho Mutezo (deputy, energy).
(c) 2014 Now Daily. All Rights Reserved.