By Peter Bolder|
The suspected terrorist mastermind behind the deadly attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya in 2012, Ahmed Abu Khatallah has been captured by United States forces.
Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby confirmed Khatallah was arrested in Libya on Sunday June 15 and was being held at a “secure location” outside Libya awaiting transfer to the U.S.
“Khatallah has been charged for his role in the attacks on U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, on September 11, 2012,” Kirby said. “No U.S. personnel or civilians were injured in this operation, which was carried out in close co-ordination with law enforcement personnel.”
Pentagon officials confirmed Khatallah would be brought to the U.S. to face trial over the attack in which militants set fire to the American consulate in Benghazi and murdered ambassador Chris Stevens and three other staffers. He is the first suspect to be apprehended over the incident and is
charged with attacking a federal facility, murder and supplying weapons to terrorists.
Kirby declined to give details of the June 15 mission but expressed defense secretary Chuck Hagel’s pride in “everyone who meticulously planned and executed this operation”.
“They took great personal risk to fulfil our pledge that the U.S. will do whatever it takes to ensure justice comes to those who harm American citizens,” said Kirby. He said the Libyan government had been notified in advance of the raid near Benghazi.
President Barack Obama praised the “courage and professionalism” of those who carried out the mission.
“The fact that he (Khatallah) is now in custody is a testament to the painstaking efforts of our military, law enforcement and intelligence personnel. Because of their courage and professionalism, this individual will now face the full weight of the American justice system,” Obama said. – NOW DAILY.